Keeping our young women in school
Young women at our partner schools miss up to one week a month, 25% of their schooling, due to menstruation. Some contributing factors to them being absent from school are:
- Lack of sanitary pads
- Lack of person understanding about puberty and menstruation
- Cultural perceptions about menstruation
GSP has partnered with Pad Heaven. This is a Kenyan business founded by Florence Kamaitha whose aim is 'keeping girls in class one pad at a time.'
Our program provides each of our young women with:
- Education about puberty and menstruation
- 6 Reusable/washable sanitary pads, panties and soap
- Ongoing mentoring and support
The trial in 2017 proved that we could reduce absenteeism by 88%, so the girls were in class every week, every month! We also saw an increase in the young women's self confidence as they gained an understanding about the natural process of menstruation occurring in their bodies and a greater social acceptance as no longer were they excluded at school and at home.
Read more about it in our BLOG.